23 April 2010

General Authorities here this week

Yesterday we had the privilege of going to the MTC in San Paulo to hear from Elder Russell M. Nelson.  He has been in town with Elder Holland this week and they have been visiting various missions with the area Seventies.  Before Elder Nelson began his talk he requested all of the missionaries, including the "old folks" to pass by him so that he and his wife, Wendy, could shake our hands and look in our eyes.  What a thrill it was to do so, and the spirit in the room was exhilarating.  What a privilege for these young missionaries, especially the Brazilian natives, to shake the hand of an Apostle of the Lord.  He reminded us that we should teach two things:  The Atonement and Christ's example.  These two teachings encompass all of the gospel and what we have been asked to live.  I understand that after our meeting both of the Apostles were off to other missions and then to separate firesides in the evening.  The Lord really does sustain us in our callings; they seemed full of vigor and energy.  We, on the other hand, were tired at the end of the day.  Go figure!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You two are amazing. I notice you apt doesn't have A/C ouch! LUV U 2

Anonymous said...

Forgot to tell you the previous comment is from Randie

Dayna said...

I was told by my wise parents when I was eight or nine that when a General Authority shakes your hand he knows what your thinking. When I was in Utah for a General Conference session we were told that if we waited by the side door that President Kimball will come out to shake hands with the children. My parents and sisters were thrilled...I wasn't.. You see an hour before this time I did something mean to my sister. So naturally I thought he is going to know and will be unhappy with me.

Well, I did shake his hand and blurted out "I was mean to my sister." and "I'm sorry"!

Well, my parents were surprised and impressed that I remembered what they had told me. It was wonderful to be in his presence.
Thanks for Sharing your experiences with us!.

Brianne & Jarod said...

Dear David & Carlie...
I am so excited that you are going to share your experiences and stories through a blog! We sure miss having you in the ward. (especially me...I have been called to co-teach Gospel Doctrine with Annie, and would love to have your comments in class!) Glad you are enjoying your mission, my brother LOVED it there!

Brianne Stewart


p.s. the piano is doing well, and has surprisingly avoided all contact with the boys (so far)